About the 62 Impala

Shoestring 62' project

Follow along as I do a restro-mod of a 1962 Impala SS.

I am a Architect by training, and this is my first car restoration. I will be doing as much of the work as I can. I will be learning new skills (welding, body work, etc.) This is my hobby project so there are no time constraints just the pure joy of building and . I have always loved old cars and always wanted to restore one.

The goal for the car is to make a nice cruiser for weekend outings, and local car shows. Also I am planning on finishing the car and taking my Dad who gave me the car on the Power tour.

Storing the Engine

Well I put the short block 409 in to a state of storage until I can get to it later this year. I wanted to be sure that it did not rust, and make more problems when I finally get to it.


The engine has had no machine work done to it. So I was not worried about trying to preserve work all ready done. There are things that I would have done differently if I was. I was trying to just keep it in the condition that it was and to stop rust from developing.


So the process was very simple, I purchased a $20 oil pump priming tool from Mr Gasket. This can be found at any local auto parts store, I got mine from Jegs along with a engine bag.
Step 1: Add oil to the Short Block
Step 2: Prime the oil system
Step 3: Turn the engine over, I did this with a 2 foot long piece of flat steel with a hole in it and two bolts in the Balance.
Step 4: I sprayed the surfaces with WD40. Others recommend a preserving oil from CRC. I could not find this so I went with what others recommend.
Step 5: Bag it and be done
I will turn the motor once a month and reapply the WD40 if needed. I am not a expert and will not guarantee that this is the best method. I did my research and talked to many folks on how best to do this and went from there.
Next... Body off?

0 comments:

Post a Comment