About the 62 Impala

Shoestring 62' project

Follow along as I do a restro-mod of a 1962 Impala SS.

I am a Architect by training, and this is my first car restoration. I will be doing as much of the work as I can. I will be learning new skills (welding, body work, etc.) This is my hobby project so there are no time constraints just the pure joy of building and . I have always loved old cars and always wanted to restore one.

The goal for the car is to make a nice cruiser for weekend outings, and local car shows. Also I am planning on finishing the car and taking my Dad who gave me the car on the Power tour.

62 Impala Evaluation

Spent some time with the car and have been finishing removing trim and noting the areas that will need some attention and the extent of repair that need to take place.
The Drivers side will require the most attention as there was some interesting fixes done to the car from the previous owner. I do not have a picture of it but there is the typical rust damage at the front quarter panel that will have to be repaired, but unknown to me the bigger issue presented its self when I removed the rocker panel trim from the drivers side. I discovered a rather large piece of metal house siding stuck in this hole with about 1/2" of bondo holding it all in place I have just started to sand the area to figure out how much rust damage there is. right now I am going to have to do some rocker panel repair from the wheel well to mid point on the drivers door. Just above this hole there is a 8" dent that will need some attention, there is also something on the sail lid that I need to sand the car down and see what is going on I discovered a couple of pop rivets and a funny little piece of metal on the trunk side. I will know more when I get the car sand blasted. I think that there is more rust to be found.









So far on the passengers side there has not been discovery of anything that is not typical rust areas. The front quarter behind the wheel, along the rocker panel behind the trim, and this little blister at the rear wheel well. However I think that there is more as well as I found a odd piece of metal welded to the bottom of the rocker panel with some rust blisters and on the rear wheel well I am seeing some evidence of rust and bondo.

The interior, well I have already talked about the floor repair, this is a picture of the roof there is a moldy headliner foam (form years of leaking seals) and there is a little surface rust which I think will be taken care of with some media blasting. Nothing surprising here.
So with all this in mind I am developing my plan of attack on the body. But that is another post.

0 comments:

Post a Comment