About the 62 Impala

Shoestring 62' project

Follow along as I do a restro-mod of a 1962 Impala SS.

I am a Architect by training, and this is my first car restoration. I will be doing as much of the work as I can. I will be learning new skills (welding, body work, etc.) This is my hobby project so there are no time constraints just the pure joy of building and . I have always loved old cars and always wanted to restore one.

The goal for the car is to make a nice cruiser for weekend outings, and local car shows. Also I am planning on finishing the car and taking my Dad who gave me the car on the Power tour.

Books

So I have not gotten a lot done in the last few weeks between Kids Christmas programs, shopping and general holiday madness leading up to Christmas. Plus it is been bitter cold the last few weeks and my small shop heater is not keeping the as warm as I would like. I may have to up grade I thought I would list the books that I am using or have read prior to starting this project.

I am not sure that I can stress enough that one should get these books or others before starting any project. Especially the assembly and shop manuals for what ever car you are working on.


book1 - How to Rebuild and Modify your muscle car - By Jason Scott.



This is a great book to get before starting it has check list for evaluating a car prior to purchase so that you have a good idea of what you are getting into. It has ideas for frame off restorations to simple restorations, and the pros and cons of various both. It has a pricing form so that you can do a good estimate on what the various elements of the project will cost so that you can determine what is in the budget and what is not. We would all like to do Frame off restorations, but we do not have the time, talent, or money to do so. This book has helped me keep my project goals realistic, and feasible. I highly recommend this book to anyone that is just thinking about taking on a car project.

http://www.motorbooks.com/Store/ProductDetails_35945.ncm




Book 2 - How to Restore your collector car - Tom Brownell



Here is another book from Motorbooks.com this is in my links section a great source for books.


This one is along the same lines as the last one. A wealth of information on restoring collector cars, and general restoration tips and tricks as well. Highly recommended as well.


http://www.motorbooks.com/Store/ProductDetails_7614.ncm




book 3 - Muscle Car & Hi-Po engines Chevy 348 & 409


What can I say since I own a 409 and it will be going into this car I wanted a book to read on and about these engines. One can never read or educate themselves to much when it comes to doing a good project. I have not read this one yet as I just got the engine and it will be a little while before I get to the engine.


http://www.themotorbookstore.com/chevy-409-manual.html





Book4 - 1962 Shop manual and a 1962 Impala Assembly manual are a must for any car project. They are easy to find and fairly cheep. Sorry no pictures

0 comments:

Post a Comment