About the 62 Impala

Shoestring 62' project

Follow along as I do a restro-mod of a 1962 Impala SS.

I am a Architect by training, and this is my first car restoration. I will be doing as much of the work as I can. I will be learning new skills (welding, body work, etc.) This is my hobby project so there are no time constraints just the pure joy of building and . I have always loved old cars and always wanted to restore one.

The goal for the car is to make a nice cruiser for weekend outings, and local car shows. Also I am planning on finishing the car and taking my Dad who gave me the car on the Power tour.

The Before Pictures

The car was in good shape overall when I got it. The body was straight, not a lot of rust issues, and only one minor dent. The interior as you will see left a lot to be desired, but that is what the restoration process is all about, sometimes we need to remove what others have done.

The Exterior: There were a few rust spots on the car at the front wheel wells on both sides and a little at the rear wheels. There was also a dent just behind the drivers door that would need attention. but over all the body was straight and sound.


Front view






Rear view

The Interior: Well the interior was another story. Red Valour every were and the original seats had been replaced with something else. This was really the starting point for the restoration. The intent was to redo the interior get the minor body work done and be back on the road in a year. Well all good plans change and as I started this project I discovered that there was a lot more to be done then I first thought.


AHH the Red Valour interior


More Red

The interior in this car was what really started me on this project. I decided that it was time to get rid of the red interior and go back to the original bucket seats and bench seat. After months of looking all over the internet I found a bench seat from a 62' Impala in South Carolina, and bucket seats with the chrome on Ebay and I was ready to embark on the interior restoration. But what happens from there is another post....

0 comments:

Post a Comment